To answer the “how does metabolism work” question requires a deeper understanding of physics, biophysics and biochemistry. Many texts provide a simple explanation of metabolism, where it states metabolism is the process in the body that converts food and oxygen into energy used to move, breathe, and maintain the body’s many functions. While this is true, it underplays the importance of metabolism as it relates to human health and disease.
How metabolism really works is it’s the center of human health. When metabolic processes work well, physiological functions are optimal and the body resists disease. When there’s dysfunction in the metabolic system, that introduces a host of problems, including insulin resistance, inefficiency of energy production with associated oxidative stress and inflammation, and accordingly, increased prevalence of chronic disease.
A Deeper Discussion through “Metabolism & Medicine”
The two-book series “Metabolism & Medicine” by Dr. Brian Fertig provides the reader with new insights into how metabolism works. It goes much further than other texts that only relate metabolism to weight gain or loss or fitness. The book series presents metabolism as the determinant for a healthy body and mind. It blends physics, chemistry, biology, and quantum mechanics together in a digestible and informative manner. His books discuss the impacts of metabolism at the mitochondrial level, and how any disruptions with the mitochondria can lead to significant medical problems.
Dr. Fertig’s books are the result of more than 10 years of work and study that help answer “how does metabolism work?”. This labor of love includes his more than 30 years of experience in endocrinology, diabetes, and metabolism. He runs a private practice called the Diabetes & Osteoporosis Center in New Jersey, and is a noted expert in metabolic processes. Through his work he’s developed a comprehensive text that helps people understand how metabolism works, and why this understanding should shift modern medicine.
Key insights from the book series include:
- Understanding metabolism requires learning about physics, especially energy, heat, and various interconnected forces.
- Taking a metabolism-centric focus towards medicine can transform medical education and practices.
- Detailed thoughts about quantum biology, as the now most foundational tier of biology, can lead to a new era of quantum medicine.
- How theories such as chaos theory, along with systems biology, relate to metabolism, various disorders, and disease.
- Content that supports chronic disease being caused by metabolic imbalances.
- The essential role that stress-responses play in the human body’s processes and how they can disrupt normal metabolism operation and performance, as well as diagnostically uncover occult pathologies.
- Stress responses can suppress the immune system and disturb microbiota composition and diversity, which contribute to inflammation.
Despite the book exploring physics and chemistry concepts, it does so in a simplified manner so the reader can appreciate the fundamentals and underpinnings of metabolism. It also conveys several themes throughout the text, including the relationship between unhealthy behavioral patterns and actions and poor metabolic responses. For example, it details various stress responses to over eating or lack of exercise and the ways those impact people at the metabolic and cellular levels. The texts invoke disciplines of physics and chemistry to establish baseline understanding about the human body as a machine, and the ways the metabolism drives that machine, for either positive or poor outcomes.
To learn how metabolism really works, buy “Metabolism & Medicine” today. These books are an ideal resource for medical professionals, nutritionists, and other occupations that can benefit from a deeper understanding of the human body and the central role of metabolism.